Saturday, August 2, 2008

Other Stuff


My wife reminded me today that I promised I'd post "other stuff" on here, and not just baseball stuff. So here goes.


I love fishing. I'm not a good fisherman by any stretch. I've basically been catching rainbow trout with marshmallows or some weird smelling concoction called Powerbait for the last 25 years. But it's still my ideal vacation.


Why is it ideal? It's so versatile. It's everything I would want a vacation to be. It's outdoors, which is always a plus, and usually it's in an outdoors area that's very scenic, serene, fresh, etc. It's relaxing to do alone, or it's fun to do in a group. It does take some skill, although you don't have to be skilled to enjoy it. There's nothing quite like feeling the tug on your line when you hook one - it's similar to hitting a nice line drive with guys on base (sorry, baseball reference). And it's such a satisfying feeling to land a good sized fish, knowing I'm going to grill it up later.


It's just awesome. Even for someone like me, who loves being connected to the sports world, it's great to disconnect for awhile and just commune with nature (whatever the heck that means - peeing in the bushes, I guess). My son got to reel in his first fish on our recent trip, which was fun to watch. My wife and I landed a nice 3.5 lb rainbow, which is pretty big for most of those mountain lakes. It was a good trip.


I know this doesn't mean a lot to most of you, but I really recommend it. If you've never been on a decent fishing trip, go to a lake with some family/friends and enjoy being away from the daily grind. It's totally worth it.

2 comments:

JB said...

sorry... as your resident commenter, I'm going to have to be honest with you and let you know that basically, fishing sucks. you just chill there (sometimes for hours) until you straight buck a flopping piece of marine life, which looks at you with its one eye like "dog, why the F*** would you do that??!" until it asphyxiates. then you rip your instrument of death out its mouth.

Now, i'm in with the outdoors (as much as you can be "in" with "out") and I'm all about chilling in the wild. but not at the cost of some damn fish.

Daniel said...

Well, first of all, we eat the fish, so it's providing some economic value - it's not cruelty. Second of all, most fish have two eyes. Just wanted you to be aware in case you thought we only went after the visually deficient fish.

The great thing about fishing (at least fishing on the shore of a lake or at a creek/stream) is you don't actually have to fish. You can hike to a fishing spot and just chill if you want. I'll be happy to take care of the asphyxiation procedures in your stead.