Monday, September 15, 2008

Ramble On


This post is going to go all over the place, but I need to post something.

The Angels clinched last week, which is great. They now have two weeks to get everyone healthy, set up the rotation exactly the way they want it, try out any young arms or bats, and get the bullpen rested. I don’t think there’s any way they could have done this differently, but it was kind of annoying that they clinched in between games. I was actually there for the Wednesday game with my 2 year old son, but after 3 hours in the hot sun, I couldn’t bring myself to subject my son to waiting around to see if the Rangers would lose and the Angels would officially clinch. In retrospect, it would have been nice to stay, but at the time, my son was looking pretty sleepy, so I made the decision to leave.

We also attended the Thursday night game, but of course they had already clinched. I’ll send a thank you to Scioscia, though, for putting Speier into a game the Angels were leading 7 – 0, ensuring that K-Rod would be able to get in there for a save. That was exciting.

One thing I noticed is that even though the crowds for both games were big, neither was particularly loud and boisterous. This is something the Angels’ fans get criticized for all the time by other fans. We’re too laid back apparently. There’s also the distinct possibility that the Angels could play the Red Sox in the playoffs. When that happens, Angel Stadium seems to turn into Fenway West. It’s gotten better in recent years, but I worked at the stadium in the late ‘90’s and I don’t remember Sox fans coming out in droves (nothing like Yankee fans, who probably made up 75% of the crowd for Angels – Yankees games back then, and that’s not an exaggeration). But now it seems like Sox fans are all OVER the place when they play the Angels, even for playoff games.

How does this happen? It’s true that there are a number of immigrant Bostonians in the Orange County/ LA area, so that makes up part of it. But how do they all get tickets? Are they the ones buying every single available ticket from Stub Hub and Ebay and the like? I suppose when you only get to go to one or two games a year, it makes sense that they can blow their baseball budget on playoff tickets and outspend everyone else.

Should Angels fans let this happen? Shouldn’t season ticket holders try to sell to Angels fans or go themselves? That’s a tough one. Even though they’re expensive, I’d love to go to at least one playoff game. There’s really nothing like the atmosphere for playoff games, even in laid back SoCal. I was at game 5 of the ALDS against the Yankees in 2005, and that place rocked. So not all of the criticism I mentioned earlier is deserved. So let’s say I buy a couple playoff tickets, say for $40 a piece. If I can get $200 for those tickets, should I sell them? I love the Angels, but a $120 profit is a pretty nice deal for my family. I would have to at least think about it, especially when I can just watch the game from the comfort of my own home. I think enough people feel this is worth it that you wind up with a ton of Sox fans at the games. And that hurts the atmosphere.

I’m still rambling, so I have to share this one. We went early to the game on Thursday and my son and I were able to procure a batting practice ground rule double that one of the attendants gave us. I was so excited! It’s just a ball, but there’s something about major league baseballs that make them so cool. I don’t know what it is; it’s not like they’re all that rare. It’s just that the ball was handled by major leaguers, hit by major leaguers and now my son can play with that little piece of the major leagues. I know there are people who say that adults who bring gloves to the game are a little bit off…but I still do, just in case. When I was younger, it was so I would have that souvenir on my mantle. Now, it’s so I can give them to my children, which is an even better feeling.

My wife and I were at the game with our 2 year old, Ben, and 8 month old, Micah, and we had a very good time. Micah fell asleep in the 4th inning, but Ben stayed up and enjoyed most of the game. I’m really hoping he turns into as much of a baseball fan as I am; I look forward to going to games with him for years to come. So far he’s on the right track, and getting that baseball can only help.

The next two weeks will be like the calm before the storm for the Angels. I’ll be gearing up for playoff season. I’ll be trying to post more regularly on here with some different things. Stay tuned.

No comments: