Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The hits just keep on comin'...

Updates on some Angels news trickling in. Some okay. Some downright bad. Some discouraging.

Within Rob Neyer's blog there's some info about the Angels, which I've been hearing elsewhere. The Angels are trying to sign CC Sabathia. I knew this was a possibility, but my general thought was that of all the things the Angels could spend money on this offseason, starting pitching was probably the least urgent. They have a bonafide number 1 starter in his prime in John Lackey. They have someone with number 1 stuff and who could develop into a bonafide number 1 in Ervin Santana. Joe Saunders will probably regress somewhat, but he's still solid. Jered Weaver is also solid. The Angels will have a starting spot to fill, but it's the number 5 spot, and it could be temporarily filled by Moseley, Loux, or Adenhart until Escobar is ready in midseason (which is no guarantee). I will have nothing to complain about if CC joins the rotation - he's legitimately one of the 5 best pitchers in baseball right now. According to Neyer he'd probably be worth 3 or 4 wins over Garland (who he'd be replacing). But I feel that money would be better spent elsewhere, which brings me to the disappointing news.

It seems the Angels are "frustrated" with negotiating with Teixeira. There is some rumor that Teix has some knee issues, which has made the Angels balk at giving him anything longer than a 6 year deal. I don't know about knee issues, but I know Teixeira has been very healthy the last few seasons and he's a beast at the plate - exactly what the Angels need. I know it's blasphemy, but Vlad is NOT the hitter he was when the Angels first signed him. He's declining. He may not hit 30 HR's again. And Vlad has shown he's the type of guy who tries too hard when he feels he has to carry the team offensively. The Angels can't let that happen, and Teixeira's the guy best equipped to make sure it doesn't happen. Until the fat lady sings, I'll believe the Angels are players in Teixeira Watch 2008-2009, but my hopes are somewhat diminished.

Lastly, the downright bad news. I reported before that Garret Anderson had been cut loose by the Angels, who did have some hope of re-signing him to a lesser deal. I also heard that he had cut ties with his agent, which made me hopeful that he would negotiate with the Angels himself. Then it came out that he was excited about testing the free agent market, which was discouraging, but not the end of the world. And now I hear this: He's signed with Scott Boras. Anderson is now represented by Satan's minion. I guess this happened about a week ago, but I must have missed it. This is awful. Not only does this virtually eliminate any possibility of a hometown discount, it also pains me to see a player I've rooted for for 14 years turn to the Axis of Evil. Ugh.

As depressing as that information is, I have a lot to be thankful for. I have a wonderful family, I have a stable job, a good home, and many other blessings. So I'm excited for tomorrow and I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Ron Rollins said...

Can you say NO HOPE for Anderson!!!!


He just screwed himself.

Brian Zuniga said...

I obviously would love to have Tex over anyone else. But imagine Lackey, CC and Santana dominating their starts in the playoffs. If one of them has an off day against the Sox in the ALCS, no worries, we got Saunders or Escobar for game 4. I would be hyped about this.